Monday, April 14, 2008

My Ideal Teacher

My mom always tells me, “Why don’t you just teach? Be a teacher, teach in a university. That could be good isn’t it?” Can it be possible that I could have the potential in being able to teach youthful and energetic young minds of today? I think not; my head hurts long enough to read all my lectures and still wasn’t able finish them all, and this profession is something I can’t even conceive of being able to be. I don’t think I can teach. I sometimes tend to protest frantically to this idea. Although come to think of it, will there be engineers, architects, pilots, accountants, managers, businessmen/women, artists, sociologists, or even a President of a country if there were no teachers to shape our minds. They were the ones we get to know not just our teachers but also our buddies. They were the ones who make sure we got everything in the bag when we head ourselves to face this world. They became part of our lives and surely even though we also have mean teachers they still made a contribution to our knowledge, may it be inside the four corners of the room or outside. I have my favorite teachers in grade school, in high school and even now in college but what is my ideal teacher?

All I want for a teacher is someone I can lean on, someone I can tell my problems just like friends do, someone that can teach me things about life not just the syllabus of the subject, someone who is smart, funny, and a teacher that I can look up to of course.. I didn’t particularly like my grade school and high school years but I didn’t necessarily hate it, thanks to my teachers. I somehow realize afterwards I hated some of my classmates and teachers. Most of my teachers made my grade school and high school years a thing I would never forget.

My tutor when I was in 2nd grade was softhearted and beautiful. She thought me how to multiply and divide; you know all the simple arithmetic. Although I think she’s getting pissed of me because it was so hard for me to comprehend at that age, still she was there patiently teaching me. I hope I could see her now and thank her. She was also the teacher of my brothers and sister in our school and I know we will all say the same thing if we remember her. An old teacher when I was in 3rd grade, even though she’s old I love the way she teaches me because she treats me like I’m one of her grandchild. I became a little bit jealous of the other students she teaches but I loved her so much. She is one of the reasons why I love English. There’s this professor in college that I like. She looks like my mom, and I think she’s so nice and gentle.

It’s of course a matter of strategy on how you will handle teaching and I just love to see how these teachers carry their confidence in front of us and teach with compassion. They love teaching students and some likes to make friends even though they know as time goes by some of their students may forget them and leave them. If it’s any consolation, all they ever wanted for their students is to be successful in life.

They’re one of the reasons why we’re here. They teach you, they pamper you, and they nourish you. That’s why they are called “the second parent.” I sincerely appreciate the efforts of every teacher that has come my way and became one of my inspirations of making me who I am. They taught me many things that can be very useful to me and I will always thank them for everything they’ve done patiently and being supportive of every aspect of my learning.


No comments: